Pentatonic Melody Composition
1. Learners will compose a 4 measure melody using the pentatonic collection. (MU:CR2.1.6b, 9.1.8.A)
2. Learners will analyze their peer’s composition and explain how the pitches, rhythms, and structure either support or detract from the melody. (MU:Pr4.2.6b, MU:Re7.2.T.Ia)
3. Learners will demonstrate use of computer music notation to share their musical ideas. (9.1.8.J)
4. Learners will revise their melody based on peer feedback. (MU:Cr3.1.T.Ia)
Clarinet Pinkie Alternation Worksheet & Composition.
1. Students will notate which pinkie (Right/Left) that they will use when given Line 1 excerpt when the notes B and C precede/follow each other.
2. Students will notate which pinkie (Right/Left) that they will use when given Line 2 excerpt when the notes B, C, and Eb precede/follow each other.
3. Students will create their own composition that utilizes the notes C, B, and Eb.
Construction of scales and identification of keys
Students will construct major scales using accidentals
Students will assign the appropriate key signature to a melody that only uses accidentals
Students will compose a melody in A major using accidentals
The Major/Minor Effect
Students will construct the C Major scale, A natural minor scale, and A melodic minor scale along with a 4 measure simple composition in either A natural minor or A melodic minor. Finally, students will use the recording themselves playing the scales and composition on their respective instrument. This lesson can be altered for different keys.
A Day In the Life of Jack the Cat – Compose using Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So
Students will be able to compose a short motif using known rhythms and pitches.
Eighth Note Composition
Students will use this worksheet/lesson to create their own song using eighth notes and the first 5 notes on their band instruments.
Gettin’ The Blues – Intro to C Blues and Composition in 12 Bar Form.
Students will complete worksheet, labeling C Major and C Blues scales and perform both scales. Students will compose in 12 Bar Blues Form and perform and Record their compositions.
Simple Composition Assignment for Band Students
1. Objective 1 – Students will be able to compose a piece for their instrument using the notes from their Eb concert scale and a given rhythm.
2. Objective 2 – Students will be able to record themselves playing their composition in Noteflight and reflect on their piece and performance.
3. Objective 3 – Students will reflect on their own compositions as well as the compositions of others.
Recorder Karate: White Belt Mastery and Composition Unit
Students will be able to:
1. perform their White Belt Song on the recorder and record it for mastery.
2. compose a piece of music using the notes BAG and rhythms of quarter, half, and whole notes or rests.
D Major Scale Worksheet and Playing Test
Students will be able to name the notes from and create an 8 measure composition using the D Major scale.