Construction of scales and identification of keys
Students will construct major scales using accidentals
Students will assign the appropriate key signature to a melody that only uses accidentals
Students will compose a melody in A major using accidentals
The Major/Minor Effect
Students will construct the C Major scale, A natural minor scale, and A melodic minor scale along with a 4 measure simple composition in either A natural minor or A melodic minor. Finally, students will use the recording themselves playing the scales and composition on their respective instrument. This lesson can be altered for different keys.
My Original Composition
Objective 1: Students will be able to create an original composition in ABA form following the requirements of the form as explained in the project.
Objective 2: Students will learn to play their original song on either guitar or keyboard and have the opportunity to make any changes to their composition they feel necessary.
Objective 3 : Once students are ready, they will perform their original composition for the teacher and be scored on it based on the performance rubric we use on a regular basis.
A Day In the Life of Jack the Cat – Compose using Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So
Students will be able to compose a short motif using known rhythms and pitches.
Introduction to Composition
To get the students to use basic information from scales to create chords and then a short composition utilizing the tonic and dominant chords derived from the scale.
THE BEAT GOES ON
Objective(s): as a result of this lesson students will know and/or be able to…
1. Identify and describe changes in elements and expressive qualities
2. Classify musical sound sources into groups
3. Read and interpret the traditional music notation of note values letter names
4. Describe the processes involved in composing, conducting and performing
Eighth Note Composition
Students will use this worksheet/lesson to create their own song using eighth notes and the first 5 notes on their band instruments.
Gettin’ The Blues – Intro to C Blues and Composition in 12 Bar Form.
Students will complete worksheet, labeling C Major and C Blues scales and perform both scales. Students will compose in 12 Bar Blues Form and perform and Record their compositions.
Simple Composition Assignment for Band Students
1. Objective 1 – Students will be able to compose a piece for their instrument using the notes from their Eb concert scale and a given rhythm.
2. Objective 2 – Students will be able to record themselves playing their composition in Noteflight and reflect on their piece and performance.
3. Objective 3 – Students will reflect on their own compositions as well as the compositions of others.
D Major Scale Worksheet and Playing Test
Students will be able to name the notes from and create an 8 measure composition using the D Major scale.