Pentatonic Melody Composition
1. Learners will compose a 4 measure melody using the pentatonic collection. (MU:CR2.1.6b, 9.1.8.A)
2. Learners will analyze their peer’s composition and explain how the pitches, rhythms, and structure either support or detract from the melody. (MU:Pr4.2.6b, MU:Re7.2.T.Ia)
3. Learners will demonstrate use of computer music notation to share their musical ideas. (9.1.8.J)
4. Learners will revise their melody based on peer feedback. (MU:Cr3.1.T.Ia)
My Original Composition
Objective 1: Students will be able to create an original composition in ABA form following the requirements of the form as explained in the project.
Objective 2: Students will learn to play their original song on either guitar or keyboard and have the opportunity to make any changes to their composition they feel necessary.
Objective 3 : Once students are ready, they will perform their original composition for the teacher and be scored on it based on the performance rubric we use on a regular basis.
A Day In the Life of Jack the Cat – Compose using Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So
Students will be able to compose a short motif using known rhythms and pitches.
THE BEAT GOES ON
Objective(s): as a result of this lesson students will know and/or be able to…
1. Identify and describe changes in elements and expressive qualities
2. Classify musical sound sources into groups
3. Read and interpret the traditional music notation of note values letter names
4. Describe the processes involved in composing, conducting and performing
Simple Composition Assignment for Band Students
1. Objective 1 – Students will be able to compose a piece for their instrument using the notes from their Eb concert scale and a given rhythm.
2. Objective 2 – Students will be able to record themselves playing their composition in Noteflight and reflect on their piece and performance.
3. Objective 3 – Students will reflect on their own compositions as well as the compositions of others.
D Major Scale Worksheet and Playing Test
Students will be able to name the notes from and create an 8 measure composition using the D Major scale.
Students will demonstrate knowledge on the differences between steps and skips, they will generate music composition ideas within given parameters, and lastly students will combine music composition ideas into a short melody.
Elementary band composition and performance.
Create an eight-measure rhythmic composition, apply a melody to it and perform it.
Theme and Variations
Compose and perform a song using Theme and Variations. Students will change rhythms, transpositions, time signatures, instruments, dynamics and adjust tempos. In addition, students will add harmony using I & V7 chords.
Compose Arrange Record Lesson
Write a four-bar composition with proper harmonic, melodic, voice-leading considerations. Arrange it for instruments (including transpositions), perform it, and then sync the audio.